What is Divorce?
Divorce is the dissolution of marriage or the legal breakup of a marriage. A divorce results in the end of any legal duty or responsibility between the two parties that were married. Divorces affects finances, living arrangements, household jobs and much more.
How do I file for a divorce in New York?
Until August 15th 2010, New York only recognized fault based divorces. Now, New York residents may file for a divorce without excusing their spouse of any discretion. However, before you can file for divorce it is important to know New York’s divorce eligibility requirements. In order to file for a divorce in New York you must be legally married and have a New York residency requirement. The residency requirements are stated below:
- Married in New York, and either party has lived in New York for at least one year before filing.
- Both live as husband and wife in New York and either party have lived in New York for at least one year before filing.
- The cause of the divorce happened in New York and either party has lived in New York for at least one year before filing.
- The cause of the divorce happened in New York and both parties live in New York at the time of filing.
- Either party has been a resident of New York of at least two years before filing.
Once you have established that you can file for a divorce in New York it is important to consult with an experienced divorce lawyer. In New York you must have an acceptable legal reason or “grounds” to file for a divorce.
Types of divorces in New York:
- At Fault: by desertion, cruelty, abandonment and adultery
- No Fault: by having a breakdown in marriage, or irreconcilable differences
- Simple or Summary: by having a short marriage ( less than 5 years ), no children, no property
- Contested: by having the judge or jury deciding the grounds for divorce because one party does not want to divorce
- Uncontested: by both parties coming to an agreement about all factors in their marriage
- Collaborated: by having both parties negotiate and agree on each of their needs and interests without going to court
- Mediated: by having a mediator in discussion with both parties and tailors a divorce agreement to submit to court
Separation or divorce is a life changing event. During a separation or divorce, everyday life can become extremely stressful and cause a lot of pain. In addition, it can cause emotional and financial pressures that can turn your world upside down. If you or a loved one realizes that separation or divorce is unavoidable and you need advice, consult with a divorce attorney as soon as possible. It is important to hire an attorney that is experienced in divorce and will provide outstanding legal guidance and representation during your time of need.
Finding a Divorce Attorney in Long Island
Drossman & Associates have talented and trustworthy attorneys that have experience in divorce and family law. Our divorce attorneys realize that divorce cases are all different. Therefore, we take time understanding the case; we listen to our clients’ needs and then provide the legal guidance and options that are available. At the same time, we give undivided attention, individualized service and shows respect to every client. Our attorneys understand that our clients have emotional and financial strain and our firm is prepared to defend their rights and bring resolution that is for their best interest. Our firms’ goal is to give each client quality service and resolve their legal issues without breaking the bank. In addition, we will aggressively fight to protect our clients’ interests and attain the best outcome for current and future needs.
Drossman & Associates specialize in Divorce, Family Law, Guardianship and Criminal and Civil litigation. Since 2005, Jennifer Drossman has built the reputation of having a successful boutique law firm. The law firm of Drossman & Associates is small enough to focus solely on the client’s needs and large enough to give top notch legal advice. Our firm effectively represents our clients because we have a wide range of resources, investigators and expert witnesses at our disposal. We have over 10 years of experience handling all types of family law matters including alimony, separations, divorces, child support, child custody & visitation. Complete the evaluation form or call the office at 1-516-708-1970 and speak with a specialized divorce attorney. Your information is confidential.